Thursday, March 10, 2016

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Hiya! So today, I've been on a baking spree getting orders ready for my March cookie sales. Today, I baked my mint chocolate chip cookies! I've been using this recipe for many years, and I've done a lot of variations on it. It's originally a Martha Stewart recipe, but I've slightly adapted it for my tastes. You can make these with milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, caramel chips, dried cherries, raisins, nuts, candies, whatever. All of these variations change the cookie completely! My favorite variations are what I call Black Forest cookies (dark chocolate chips and dried cherries), Salted Truffle cookies (semisweet chips, with chocolate sprinkles and sea salt on top), and these Mint Chip cookies. I like to use Andes Mint chips, but I didn't have enough to make the three batches I needed to bake today. I happened to have some Nestles dark chocolate mint chips, which have a mint filling, so I mixed them together in a bowl and used my "custom blend".



Here's the recipe:


1 stick of butter
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
~1 tsp sea salt
1 cup chips/dried fruit/nuts/candies/whatever

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Melt the butter and 1/2 cup of chips and stir until smooth. Mix together the melted chocolate, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Stir together the flour, soda, and salt, and add it slowly to the chocolate mixture. Once it's all mixed well, you can stir in whatever you're choosing to stir in.

Scoop the dough into walnut-sized balls and place onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. I'm sorry that I don't ever time my cookies, so I can't tell you how long they need to bake!! I always time things visually, so these are finished when they are lightly puffed and no longer wet looking. They will be sort of dull in finish. Because of all the chocolate in these cookies, they will be very soft and sticky until they fully cool. Leave them on the tray for a couple minutes before sliding the parchment onto a cooling rack. Let them cool completely before attempting to move them or stack them up. Be sure to use a spatula or something to lift them off the parchment, or else they may stick or break.

They are a very rich and fudgy cookie; the type you can really only eat one or two of at a time. I'm normally the type to scoff at things like that, because I can eat a lot of cookies. But really, they are rich! You'll at least need a glass of water and something salty before you go back for more.


Enjoy! Let me know if you try them, and what you decide to put in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment